Cats, especially young kittens, are known for their love of string play. Most cats can't resist a dangling piece of string, or a piece of rope drawn randomly and enticingly across the floor. This propensity is probably related to their hunting instinct. If string is ingested, however, it can get caught in the catís stomach or intestines, causing illness, or in extreme cases, death.
Due to the possible complications of ingesting string, string play is sometimes replaced with a red dot laser pointer. But some people also discourage the use of laser pointers for play with pets, because of the fear of eye damage and/or the possible loss of satisfaction associated with the successful capture of an object or of prey.